Event: a Day With Downton
Duration: 7 3/4 hours
Tour Code: SOU-E01
Celebrate the beloved PBS drama Downton Abbey during an exclusive shore excursion.
A partnership between Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Artful Travelers, and your local PBS and NPR stations across America, these unique sailings combine learning and leisure to celebrate the very best of public broadcasting. With a focus on PBS’ cultural programming – including Downton Abbey – as well as American government and world affairs, this adventure promises to be unlike any other.
Prior to embarking the Regent Seven Seas Voyager, join Artful Travelers on an exclusive journey through the pastoral English countryside to celebrate the worldwide television hit Downton Abbey. Over the course of just four acclaimed seasons, PBS’ Downton Abbey has solidified its place among the greatest series in television history and amassed countless prestigious honors including Emmy, Golden Globe and Producers Guild of America Awards. This extraordinary tour offers the opportunity to meet the Countess of Carnarvon, who oversees the management of Highclere Castle, the setting of the television favorite.
The schedule for this excursion includes:
• 8:45 AM: Luxury coach transportation to Basildon Park
• 10:30 AM: Unique photo stop and tour of Basildon Park, the impressive country house used as the locale of Downton Abbey’s highly-rated 2013 Christmas Day special
• 12:30 PM: Luxurious three-course lunch with Lady Carnarvon, New York Times best-selling author who manages affairs at Highclere Castle, the “real” Downton Abbey;
• 1:30 PM: “In Conversation with the Countess of Carnarvon”, a fascinating exploration of the history of Highclere, the setting for the PBS television favorite, as told by Lady Carnarvon, the chatelaine of Highclere Castle;
• 3 PM: An exclusive book signing of Lady Carnarvon’s acclaimed new release Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey
• 3:30 PM: Return luxury coach transportation
• 4:30 PM: Embarkation
Additionally, passengers participating in this exclusive tour will receive invitations to Artful Travelers’ events aboard the Regent Seven Seas Voyager as the journey to Stockholm – and this celebration of the very best of public broadcasting – begins. Esteemed guests joining the sailing for presentations, receptions and private dinners include:
• Gwen Ifill – Moderator and Managing Editor of Washington Week, Co-Anchor for the PBS NewsHour, and best-selling author of The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama;
• Michael Kantor – Emmy Award-winning producer/writer/director and Executive Producer of PBS’ American Masters;
• David Zippel – Tony Award-winning lyricist and director (City of Angels, The Goodbye Girl);
• Christine Andreas – Tony Award-nominated actress and singer (La Cage Aux Folles, The Light in the Piazza).
This pre-cruise shore excursion is a full-day experience at an additional cost of $399 US per passenger. For complete details please contact a Regent Seven Seas Cruises reservations agent at 844-4REGENT (1.844.473.4368) | Visit RSSC.com.
PLEASE NOTE: Lady Carnarvon will join Artful Travelers passengers only during “A Day with Downton”, an exclusive, pre-cruise shore excursion.
A former auditor for Coopers & Lybrand, Lady Fiona Carnarvon is the wife of George Herbert, 8th Earl of Carnarvon. Today, she manages affairs at Highclere Castle, home of the worldwide television drama Downton Abbey, including overseeing its grounds and gardens and many special events such as the Egyptian Exhibition in the cellars of the Castle. Fascinated by Highclere’s history, Lady Carnarvon has written three books. The first two are about the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, who discovered King Tutankhamun’s tomb with Howard Carter in 1922. Her latest, The New York Times bestseller Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey: The Lost Legacy of Highclere, is an amazing tale covering the same period as the first two series of Downton Abbey, beginning in 1894 with the marriage of 19-year-old Lady Almina into the Carnarvon family and continuing through the Great War. In September, Lady Carnarvon will publish the follow-up to the international best seller, Lady Catherine and the Real Downton Abbey. This book moves the story into the 1920's and focuses on the remarkable American heiress who came to reign at Highclere Castle.